Thursday, August 25, 2011

Rough Seas

YEA! I finally have my computer back! My system was infiltrated by a nasty Trojan virus known as "PCSecurity"...took over my whole OS and made a mess of it. Whew! It's good to be back online!

So this altered magnetic picture frame sums up what it's been like around here for the past few weeks. You could also say this frame represents 'guidance' as all of the items guide us in some way; maps, lighthouse, compass, birds and even the anchor. So my sentiment thanks all of those who guide us as we sail through life.

Rough Seas

I was going to submit this to the Joan's Gardens guest designer technique challenge - ah no computer - so here it is anyway. For my take on the faux porcelain technique presented by Sherry Cheever - I dunked the medallions in the melted Utee hoping they would look like aged scrimshaw (carved ivory). The frame was covered with grey acrylic paint then over painted with Rangers Dimensional Pearls and blotched on some paint from an almost dry dabber. The lighthouse was stamped on a T.P. tube that had been coated with gesso. I tore a piece of Tim Holtz' new Kraft Glassine paper crumpling it up to form the rocky base for the lighthouse and added some designer 'dirt'. I used a Copic marker to dye the cording to look like rope. Overall, I'm very pleased with how this turned out. Enjoy.

Supplies:
frame: dollar bin @ Target
Paints: Claudine Hellmuth Gesso; Ranger Dimensional Pearls (denim); Ranger Acrylic Paint Dabber (cloudy blue); Kaiser Color acrylic paint (cool grey)
Stamps: GKD (by the sea); SU (the open sea)
Other: Copics markers; cording (crown royal); Cuttlebug ef (iron works); easy frames; designer dirt (my stash)
Ink: Staz-On (jet black); Memento (danube blue)
*******************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment