Thursday, February 28, 2013

Artistic Outpost Referral-February

Hey there,

While going through my pile of unmounted rubber stamps I came across a sheet from the Artistic Outpost. Yea! I have so wanted some of their stamps so I can participate in the Artistic Outpost Referral Program

Well, I have to tell ya, after five hours of cutting apart rubber, sticking the images onto cling foam and then cutting with a hot knife...whew! All of my stamp sheets are now mounted onto cling foam!!! Yea, into my binders they go and the index sheets into my index binder! Almost organized, with stamps that is. :)

Okay, now on to the AO Referral which is a monthly challenge so I'm squeaking in at the last minute. The stamp set I found in my stash is the Quote & Quotables. All of the quotes are from women that I admire, as I consider them,  all to be 'strong' women of their day.

I've cut a vintage cabinet card out of chipboard to use as my base. I am going to be making a mini album using these quotes and this is my first page. The chipboard was given a quick coat of gesso using a foam brush and dried. Then some d.i. evergreen bough stain was applied using the same foam brush. There's a faint wood grain stamp in the background. The weedy looking flowers around the sides were stamped in two colors of acrylic paint. The flock of birds was stamped in stazon timber brown. I chose the Helen Keller sentiment for this board. It was stamped on tissue paper with archival Sepia. Then adhered with matte medium to the board. Love the way the tissue disappears! This is the first time I've tried this technique and I will be using it again, as it's so cool! Since the matte medium kind of messed up my streaked stain I reapplied a bit more stain to blend in the sentiment so it wasn't so white. On the weeds I've added little drops of white paint to break up some of the blurriness of the stamping. 

Now what to do to the edges? Ah, let's try distress embossing powder in vintage photo. There's got to be a trick to using this e.p. as this one step took me forever to get it to stick and then to melt! I do like the final result tho'.

On the whole I'm fairly happy with my little cabinet card. If you have any tips or suggestions or see something I'm doing incorrectly, please let me know. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. :)

Celebrate today... 








****************************************************

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!! Love all the different mediums you used... this must be fantastic in person! The flowers are especially pretty too.

    I only have a few Distress embossing powders. Mine don't really melt either like traditional powders. They remain gritty and I've watched TH's video about it a few times... something about rubbing the distress powder to release crystals. I must be missing something too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nan,

    What a lovely card. It sounds like putting the stamps together was a lot of work.....

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful cabinet card... so beautifully done. The soft, muted colours are wonderful, with the brilliant sentiment taking centre stage amidst the lovely stamps - wow, I love this! Great to have you play along at AO. (Sorry I'm only just catching up - been out of wifi reach for the weekend, and suffering withdrawal!)
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete