Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Who Made This?!

Yep, that's exactly what I'm asking myself and so are those who know me...WHO MADE THIS?! My altered box is SO out of my comfort zone and the theme is SO not me, I'm in shock. I think old age is getting to me.  :)

Okay, on to the altered box details.



I started with a wood pencil box (sorry forgot before pic) and gave it a coat of gesso. Using an ink blending tool I gave the box a coat of peacock feathers d.i. To soft the color I blotched (an artiste term) a wet wipe here n there. Then dried with a heat tool. Brushed corduroy d.i. was used round all of the edges of the box and dried.


Then I used gesso and a stencil on the box ends.  Next was some random stamping with a pretty script stamp and a flourishy stamp in timber brown stazon ink. Again drying with heat tool. 


Next layer was a small honey comb stamped in dove grey stazon ink. More drying. Then some line art hearts in sepia, drying. And some peacock feathers through a larger honey comb stencil. More drying.


On the cover I glued down a lacy heart die cut. Immediately did not like the color combo. What to do to get it off? Ah! I read in blogland when you don't like it, paint over it! So that's what I did to the cover only. Another layer of gesso. You can just see the outline of the lacy heart die cut. For embellies I went digging through my stash of stuff on the shelf over my desk and found the perfect lacy heart! and some leftover heart punch outs from class. Hmm, still needed something. Aha! Mr. Postman brought it today! The small wing and hearts sizzix mover & shapers dies! I stamped Love on the smallest heart, attached the wings and added to the box. A small banner was stamped using my mini alpha stamp set and fussy cut in the shape of a banner.

I'm submitting my altered Hearts and Love box to these challenges:

Sunday Stamper - Love & Hearts

Anything But a Card #12 - Share the Love

Quietfire Designs  - Queen of Hearts

Simon Says Stamp Challenge  - Have a Heart

I'm really tickled with my 'so unlike me' altered box. Hope y'all like it too.

I will definitely . . .  Celebrate today!



Supplies:
ink: distress inks, stazon, archival, versamagic
dies: spellbinders, sizzix
stamps: stampers anonymous (TH), justrite stamps, mini alpha and the small honey comb (both unknown)
paper: heartfelt creations d.p., bazzill
other: gesso, utee e.p., heart punch, glue n seal, crafters workshop stencils


******************************************

29 comments:

  1. This is so so awesome! I love your altered box...you have created such a work of altered art! You have done such a great job of distressing,then adding the embellishment. I am so proud of you! I appreciate you coming to my blog from Darnell's Blog. She was so sweet to welcome me to the blogging world. Maybe sometime you might come back and join my blog...I would love to have you! Oh, I took a couple of online courses called altered books...so interesting! Your box reminded me of some of the things we did in that course. The site I took the courses at is My Creative Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice box you have made
    It's good to come out of our comfort zone hope you do it again soon
    Jackie 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous, and you need to push on through with more projects like this! I love working on the edge of my comfort zone - see my first upcycled furniture today, if you don't believe me! Scary but great fun and it certainly keeps the grey matter in use! Have a wonderful WOYWW x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well maybe the new you should step up and take a bow because she has done a brilliant job at altering this box. Awesome...

    Happy WOYWW
    Eliza 13

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your altered box is really lovely, Nan G!

    Love especially the delicate textures and the colours! Gorgeous!

    die amelie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty the colours and all those layers and texture make for a stunning box. I really love this piece of altered art just STUNNING
    Happy WOYWW I hope you have a great day
    Ria #46

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Gorgeous, love your colour scheme and all the detail.
    Happy WOYWW Heather # 62

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, hope this is the first of many!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic box - I really love everything about it, and such lovely colours. Thanks for sharing great photos and instructions too... Happy WOYWW Gillx #64

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the awesome altered pencil box! Good job who ever the altered ego is! Thanks for sharing. Vickie #17

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous work of art hun, loving all those fabby layers you created... Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the box. It is liberating to do something completely out of your comfort zone, isn't it?
    Happy WOYWW!
    Tertia #20

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good to step out of the comfort zone and - for instance - alter a box sometimes. I don't think it has anything to do with old age - it shows a young mind who's willing to try new things. Now that sounds a lot better, doesn't it?! Love from Holland, Marit #89

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow how fun. You did good and you know it. Will you try again? #101

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fab altered box...looks like it was hard work but paid off in the end...love it...have joined your blog too as a new member...luv annie


    http://annieforeva.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  16. Utterly gorgeous... I think this is a new comfort zone for you!! Looks just stunning, and I love all that gesso-y texture and beautiful delicate stamping - wow!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Nan,

    Oh, but I do love your altered pencil box! I'd say it was a good thing to try something out of your comfort zone because it's absolutely stunning!

    Happy WOYWW
    Hugs,
    Kay #125

    ReplyDelete
  18. For being out of your comfort zone, this sure is a stunning project! Definitely a keepsake treasure. :) Thanks for joining us in the "Have a Heart" challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp challenge blog! xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nan, it is a beautiful altered box, you should step out of your comfort zone more oftern.....I know easier said than done LOL
    Krisha #133

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely piece! I have never done an altered piece yet, so you are inspiring me to give it a try. I love the color and all the texture you got on the box. Awesome!
    Winnie#79

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job - you should leave your comfort zone more often. You created a beautiful work of art. :-)
    April #119

    ReplyDelete
  22. It maybe out of your comfort zone but you should do it more often.... it is fab
    janet #15

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your box is lovely & well worth coming out of your comfort zone . i hope you try something new with your next project .jill #45

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nan, I LOVE your box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's fabulous... all the texture and collage stamping and embellishments, just fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Still chuckling over your "Who made this?"!! Great project! Well done! And thanks for playing in the Queen of Hearts Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wowzers!!!! It must not be too outside of your comfort zone... it is absolutely gorgeous!! I'm sorry I didnt get to vote for you because you know I would have... I was gone on vacation and was not online during the time. (all my blog posts were pre-scheduled).

    ReplyDelete