Saturday, May 25, 2013

Inspired by . . .

. . . a picture. i was inspired by a photo of an old singer sewing machine sitting in the weeds by an old barn. the photo was taken by Kay of 505whimsygirl.blogspot.com. the original photo can be seen here and the canvas was started here.

i photocopied the original pic so i wouldn't ruin it and used the photocopy on my canvas piece. i tore around the edges and distressed with vintage photo d.i. the canvas was stained with distress stains; mowed lawn, squeezed lemonade and stormy sky. 

the pic was attached to the canvas then the layering began with stamping the leaf branch around the pic. adding embossing paste through the mini leaves stencil. these leaves were colored with the distress pewter paint but ended up way to silvery and didn't' blend in, so i repainted them with antiqued bronze d.p. now mind you that both times this was done by my shaky hand as, i forgot to mark which way i used the stencil, so i could use it to do the painting. oops! 

i'm happy with how my shaky painting turned out. you can just see some of the silver and the original paste at the sides of the leaves. adds extra depth i think. added a few black gems and thought i was done.

mmm, not so fast. the canvas seemed puny needed something to frame it. so shopping in my stash, i found a wood cigar box whose lid made a perfect shadow box frame.  the lid was de-labeled and sanded then painted with two coats of black acrylic paint. i inked the stamp in bronze d.p. and stamped around the outer edges to blend with the bronze leaves on the canvas. attached a hanger to the back and the canvas inside the frame with two types of glue. don't want it falling off. :)

now it's done! i hope you like my altered canvas inspired by a pic.

i'm linking this up with 
Sunday Stamper at Ink on my fingers - Old/Vintage

celebrate! safely this weekend, my usa friends.




supplies:
primed canvas board; distress inks, stains and paints. black gems, embossing paste, cw stencil, designs by ryn stamp, wood cigar box lid.archival inks.

*****************************************

8 comments:

  1. LOVE that photo, how fab that is! And I love what you did with it... perfect... Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful, Nan - the image is wonderful, and the gilded leaves have worked beautifully. Love the framing too...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW what a fabulous idea and your final creation is AWESOME! Well done my friend!
    Hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!
    HUGS from OHIO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Gorgeous Nan! You've made a wonderful keepsake!! The box lid made a great frame! Now we will have to wait and see what you make with the bottom half of the cigar box...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful interpretation, it's lovely
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work, love the embossing on the Ryn images. Cheers, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nan,

    I feel honored to have my photo as part of your canvas! It looks wonderful. I love the use of the cigar box as the frame too!

    I've wondered how I could use my photos in my artwork and thanks to you, you've inspired me!!!

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete