Saturday, May 4, 2013

Letter 'A'

Here's my entry for the Alpha/Dictionary challenge at the Craft Barn using the letter A this fortnight. I'm also linking up with Hels for her Sunday Stamper - Blue challenge.

My word using the letter A is 'ascend'. So I have attempted to give you the impression of rising up out of the water. Ah, but maybe we're still in the water? My inspiration came from the Yellow Submarine video. 

My page was swiped through distress stains; salty ocean and stormy sky. Once dry I stamped splotches uses distress metallic stain and distress metallic paint in tarnished pewter. The distress paint actually adds a bit of texture when dry. For added texture I've used a varying sized circle stencil and translucent embossing paste. Over this base I've stamped the hot air balloon from a new prima set and the rising bubbles from designs by ryn. These are so cool! I need to practice adding white to them and get a decent white pen (on order now).  Along the bottom we have the balloons rising up out of a bit of wispy seaweed.  I'm not to happy with my distressing on the edges, I should of used black. Oh well, a journal is for learning by making mistakes and so I learn.

Celebrate ... it's the weekend!



hope you can see the translucent bubbles

this shows the distress stain and paint better in the tarnished pewter.


Supplies: distress metallic stains and paint, distress ink, archival ink, stamps: prima and designs by ryn,
                                        ***************************************

16 comments:

  1. The water bubbles are amazing. I can see them ascending although my first thought was Aqua! BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabby creation, love the water effect you achieved... Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh what a fab page. I love the colours and techniques and those bubbles are superb.
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome page!! What a tough word to illustrate but you did a great interpretation. Love the colors and shimmer from the metallics. I like the brown distressing, but you can always go back now and add black! Have a great rest-of-the-weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bubbles and a nice page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... delicious inky painty background, and I love the stamping. So cool that your colours are Sky and Ocean with that ambiguity in the piece too... wonderful!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful page, love the bubbles,
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nan, wow what a great page, I am totaly in love with that gorgeous background! Stunning, really. I just started my own mixed media blog and am always looking for inspiration. So thanks for sharing. Hugs Frea
    p.s. would love it if you would pop over for a visit. http://messymixedmediabyfrea.blogspot.nl/
    Hugs Frea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cool! Your water looks fabulous with amazing bubbles! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, lovely! Gorgeous bubbles and a beautiful blue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant page = love your water bubbles as they look so realistic!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nan...this is such a cool piece! I love your blue sky background with all of it's blended colors. The stenciling and rising bubbles really add such interest. Love it! I think your bubbles look great! That hot air balloon is very cool...the way the white is partially covering it, it makes me think of wispy clouds enveloping it. I also wanted to thank you for the very nice comment you left on my blog about being listed on Tim's Noteworthy Blogs. I'm still pinching myself. You will have so much fun making one of the folders. They are easy but a blast to do! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great page love the bubles which seem to me to ascending as f=do the air balloons love the inky painty feel.

    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great page, love the balloon and the bubbles and fabulous background.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. really like this !! well done
    Thanks for playing with us at the Craft Barn
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete