Thursday, August 22, 2013

First in the Series

Here's the first of my three MDF squares.

I present...."Shattered".

This started as an unfinished piece of 4" x 4" MDF. It was coated with gesso then a layer of wrinkled masking tape with some glue and seal to help the tape stick. A layer of the g&s was applied on top and left to dry.

Next I painted the entire piece with silver alcohol ink adding streaks of silver dp. I then added a few dashes of pitch black a.i. and coated the piece with a thick layer of distress crackle paint-clear rock candy. This took almost two days to dry.


Once dry, I started to highlight the cracks by rubbing in black dp and wiping off with a damp baby wipe. A bit more silver a.i. some stabilio all pencil on the raised edges, a few gears with a cracked & chipped star then placed on a glossy black frame .......done!

Close up to show cracks.

Hanging on my wall.

I'm very pleased with the way this turned out. Hope you like it  too.

Pics were taken in different places trying to get a decent pic without the glare. The silver a.i. is really shiny!

Celebrate the day!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

9 comments:

  1. Nan, this is brilliant, love it, how fabulous to have it hanging on the wall already, thank you for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much work has gone into creating this and it's so fantastic. Love it. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just gorgeous! Love all the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. outstanding my friend, well done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is unbelievable. I can see why it took so long to dry! Talk about texture with a capital T!!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous piece!! Sounds like the process was fun even if it took a while. Amazing texture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...this looks amazing Nan. Lots and lots of lovely texture.

    TFS and crafty hugs

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! Very, very cool, Nan - the textures are amazing, and the metallic patina is fabulous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete